Casual SEND Playworker
Salary: £11.59 - £12.46 per hour
Location: Multiple locations around Wokingham
Working Pattern: Part Time
Hours: Varied hours per week. Part time.
DBS Check: Enhanced
Closing Date: 01/01/2024 at 23:00
Are you looking for a fun, rewarding role in a friendly & supportive environment where your job is to engage & inspire children? We are seeking to employ highly motivated & enthusiastic playworkers to join our team.
Wokingham Borough Council is expanding their offer for children accessing the DfE funded Holiday Activities and Food Programme (HAF) who have SEND. The programme provides free fun activities and healthy lunches to children and young people eligible for free school meals through the Christmas, Easter and Summer school holidays.
The main purpose of the Playworker role is to deliver a caring, engaging and secure environment for children between the ages of 8 and 13 with SEND through provision of 1:1 support and assisting with the organisation of a range of appropriate and fun leisure activities.
Ideally, we are looking for someone who can work 2-4 sessions per holiday week, but all applications will be considered. Whether you are a student interested in work outside of college/university hours, you currently work in childcare but are looking for additional hours or a fresh challenge, or you are looking to launch your career in childcare, we would love to hear from you.
The hours can be flexible within our operating times. Full training will be offered and support will be provided by the HAF Programme Manager, the HAF Programme SEND Project Co-ordinator and the HAF Programme SEND site lead. You will assist with the day to day operations of the HAF Programme holiday provisions, ensuring all activities are delivered to a high standard at all times. You will provide a safe and secure environment for the children in your care to explore, grow and have FUN!
- Nurturing, enthusiastic, reliable and motivated to support children and young people to thrive.
- Ability to engage and encourage children and young people to access activities.
- Willingness to participate in all aspects of providing person centred care to young people and ensure the smooth running of the service.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a busy, diverse and demanding environmen
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to deliver delegated responsibilities.
- Tact, diplomacy, confidentiality and sensitivity
- Ability to set up play areas and make sure the space is safe and secure.
- Committed to safeguarding.
- Knowledge of working with children and young people and/or people with learning difficulties/disabilities.
- Awareness of non-verbal communication techniques
- Ability to work with children who may display challenging behaviour or have health needs.
- Understanding of equal opportunities
- Experience of working under pressure and prioritising a demanding workload in a changing environment.
- Experience of facilitating provisions to support SEND children, young people and their carers.
- Proven ability to capture, store and accurately retrieve information.
- Ability to work without supervision using own initiative.
- Ability to plan and undertake a range of activities with young people.
- Childcare qualifications i.e. NVQ in childcare, Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools.
For more information, please contact: Sophie Hookway firstname.lastname@example.org or the HAF programme manager on: 07887 634932.
Closing date: 3rd September 2023, 11pm
Interview date: TBC
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment. All successful candidates for this role will be subject to Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.