Service Manager Climate Emergency
Salary: £45,648 – £50,739 (Grade 10)
Location: Shute End, Civic Offices, Wokingham, Civic Offie, Shute End
Working Pattern: Full Time
Hours: 37 hours.
DBS Check: No
Closing Date: 20/05/2022 at 17:00
Service Manager Climate Emergency
Working Pattern: Full time
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: Grade 10 £45,648 – £50,739
Hours: Full time 37 hours per week (with option for part time)
Location: Civic Offices, Shute End, Wokingham
Closing Date: Friday 20 May 2022
Are you an innovative and highly motivated individual who is experienced in leading teams and working with multiple stakeholders in the private and public sector?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team, committed to supporting the council’s response to the climate emergency.
Wokingham Borough Council is seeking to recruit a highly motivated professional with excellent communication and leadership skills to help speed up the delivery of our very ambitious Climate Emergency Action Plan (CEAP) and wider climate change agenda.
With a background in strategy development and project management, you will have a passion for delivering change and improving outcomes for people and places. With a flair for analysis, creative thinking, problem solving, you will be able to demonstrate a record of accomplishment on delivering successful outcomes for the business community. A good communicator with excellent written, presentation and influencing skills, you will have experience of dealing with a broad range of people from the public to private sector partners, senior managers and councillors.
The Service Manager Climate Emergency will be responsible for developing, maintaining, and monitoring the climate emergency action plan, establishing the governance for this agenda, and the coordination of multiple teams within and outside the council. Central to delivering the climate emergency targets is engagement with our multiple stakeholders which is also a key function of this role, provide in-house specialist technical advice to help develop policy, plans, generate income; identify new opportunities to reduce carbon emissions, and engage further with partners to develop strategies that will enable the uptake of borough-wide renewable energy, improve energy efficiency knowledge and change behaviours, support borough-wide retrofitting schemes and provide further engagement with stakeholders to tackle climate change challenges.
The key responsibilities of a Service Manager Climate Emergency include, but are not limited to:
- Deliver a strategic coordinated response to achieving the council’s climate emergency targets with a shared resource centrally based to help deliver projects.
- Integrate and coordinate the council’s approach to the climate emergency agenda, which needs to be embedded in all operations and services delivered by the council (i.e. budget setting).
- Work in collaboration with operational managers to agree strategy, direction of travel, service outcomes and performance management of the actions agreed in the CEAP.
- Work in collaboration with officers and services to reduce inefficiency through duplicated costs and gaps in delivery of climate emergency actions.
- Effectively manages risk through analysis, mitigation and contingency planning; where appropriate the post-holder provides senior stakeholders with clear analysis, options evaluation and recommendations to enable decision-making.
- Provide specialist advice and input to the development and delivery of policy, strategy and commissioning activity, working with other specialist areas to ensure a corporate and collaborative approach.
- Provide specialist project management and/or advice and input to the commissioning cycle, procurement, commissioning, and contract management.
- Ensure effective stakeholder management, developing, managing, and supporting external partnerships/relations, and working with key internal stakeholders to ensure a responsive and proactive delivery of the service that delivers the Council’s outcomes and meets customer needs.
- Responsible for climate emergency budgets
- Coordinate and manage the climate emergency team functions
The key skills and qualities of a Service Manager Climate Emergency are:
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant field, such as Environmental Science discipline; Energy, Built Environment and/or Engineering or relevant experience in related field.
- Have a proven track record of planning and delivering project work using robust project management methodology. The post holder should demonstrate excellent project and performance management skills.
- Knowledge of current climate change and sustainability policy issues affecting local authorities, relevant legislation, and statutory duties
- Successful experience of working in an environment where influence, negotiation and persuasion are significant levers
- Experience of measurement, reporting and verification for energy efficiency, renewable energy, and climate change programmes
- Experience of supplier management, commissioning projects and programmes of work from a range of providers, including contract negotiation and contract management
- Experienced communicator with excellent written, verbal and presentation skills and an ability to interpret and communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
- Candidates must be able to bring a flexible mindset, challenge traditional thinking, and be prepared to work outside of their comfort zone.
- Ability to use Microsoft suite
If you are keen on joining this dynamic, high-profile team and taking the next step in your career, then please click the apply now button to find out more. Closing date for applications Friday 20 May 2022.
For an informal, confidential discussion about this role, please contact the recruiting manager Rhian Hayes on 0118 9746090.
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.