Housing Policy Officer (Place Specialist L2)
Salary: £34,373 - £38,553 per annum
Location: Shute End/Home Working
Working Pattern: Full Time
Hours: 37 hours.
DBS Check: No
Closing Date: 27/05/2022 at 23:00
Wokingham Borough Council has an ambitious agenda over the coming years. We are working towards sustaining economic growth as part of the Covid recovery plan for the Borough. We have declared a climate emergency and are working towards net zero carbon by 2030. We are also continuing to invest in a significant housing development programme across the Borough, providing more affordable homes and regenerating communities.
We are seeking an experienced, professional and highly motivated individual to undertake an exciting range of duties within the Strategic Housing Team. You will have a sound knowledge of housing issues having had substantial experience of working in housing, preferably within a local authority or housing association. You will lead and assist with the delivery of housing policy, research and projects. You will be a self starter with excellent attention to detail and a flexible and methodical approach to your work. You will be an effective communicator, confident negotiating with developers and justifying the Council’s housing policies at planning appeals, working collaboratively across the Council with senior officers and briefing elected members.
You will lead on a range of Council housing strategies including the Homelessness and Rough Sleeping strategy and Young Person’s Housing Strategy. You will be the main lead on affordable housing enabling, negotiating onsite and offsite affordable housing provision and justifying the Council’s affordable housing policies at planning appeals. You will be the strategic link in the team on issues such as homelessness and domestic abuse, working closely with colleagues in operational housing. You will also lead on various commissioned housing projects including specialist accommodation for specific client groups as well as community led housing.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Lead on housing strategies e.g., homelessness and rough sleeping strategy and action plan and Young Person’s Housing Strategy
- Lead on affordable housing policies, e.g., affordable housing supplementary planning document and specialist housing supplementary planning document
- Be able to justify affordable housing policies at planning appeals, inquiries and hearings
- Lead on affordable housing enabling across the Borough, negotiating with developers, and liaise with Registered Providers
- Act as link person in strategic housing on key issues such as homelessness and domestic abuse etc
- Lead on the project management of commissioned housing projects including specialist housing schemes and community led housing schemes, including developing robust business cases, taking projects through from implementation to completion
Skills, attributes and experience
Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject, you will be an experienced housing professional with a strong grasp of the housing sector and understanding of housing policy. You’ll need to be a highly organised and driven individual, able to juggle a range of priorities within a past paced environment.
For an informal, confidential discussion about this role, please contact the recruiting manager Frances Haywood on 07769 955068 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 27th May 2022, 11pm
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer
How to apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.